Ginataan, alternatively spelled Guinataan, is a dessert soup from the Philippines. Its name is derived from the Filipino word for coconut milk, “gatá”, the main ingredient in the soup. It is also called “benignit” in Cebuano, “Alpahor” in Chavacano, and “ginettaán” in Ilokano.
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup diced sweet potato
1 cup diced plantain (filippino banana)
3 tablespoons water
1 cup of sweet rice powder
1/4 cup tapioca
1 cup of jack fruit (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring the 4cups of water and coconut milk to boil.
2. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and simmer.
3. Then add sweet potatoes and plantains and simmer until half done.
4. Add 3 tbs water to the sweet rice powder a little bit at a time until it becomes a big dough ball. Take a little of the mixture at a time and form into balls the size of hazelnuts. Drop the balls into the simmering mix.
5. Add the cooked tapioca, sugar and langka. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot or cold.
Here’s a delicioius layered shooter to try!
Serve: In a shot glass
1/2 oz Grand Mariner
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz Irish cream liqueur
Pour the Grand Mariner into a shot glass, float the tequila on top of the Grand Mariner,
top with the Irish cream liqueur.
Serve: In a collins glass
Garnish: rim of glass with salt
2 oz blanco or reposado tequila
6 oz fresh grapefruit soda
1/2 oz lime juice
salt for rimming (optional)
Rim a collins glass with salt, fill the glass with ice and add the tequila and lime juice, and Top it off with grapefruit soda.
Serve: In a chilled cocktail glass
1 oz Scotch
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz dry vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes, stir well, strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Serve: In a hurricane glass over ice
Garnish: lime wedge, cherry, and umbrella
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz Midori® melon liqueur
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1 splash 7-Up® soda
Combine all ingredients, shake well and serve over ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and a cherry and umbrella
Serve: In a cocktail glass
1 shot banana liqueur
1 shot Kahlua® coffee liqueur
fill with pineapple juice
Combine ingredients, shake, and pour over ice. Garnish with cherries.